What is Peer Review?
Peer review is a dispute resolution process which provides a means for resolving differences between a dentist and patient or between dentists.
The peer review process is managed and administered by the Kansas Dental Association (KDA) and is available to the public, the dental profession, and third parties.
Because a dental association has a responsibility to both the public and the dental profession, dentists who are not members of the KDA and Fifth District are able to utilize the peer review process for a fee.
Matters Accepted for Peer Review
- Your dentist appears in Find a Dentist which means he/she is a member of the Kansas Dental Association.
- Your dentist DOES NOT APPEAR in Find a Dentist but agrees to pay the non-member fee requested by the Kansas Dental Association.
- The treatment in question must have occurred in the past 18 months.
- Appropriateness of Care: The Peer Review Committee shall determine the professional acceptability of planned or completed diagnostic evaluation and treatments, consistent with diagnosis. In other words, did the dentist provide appropriate treatment for the condition that existed?
- Quality of Treatment: The Peer Review Committee shall determine the acceptability of completed treatment based on the standard of care expected by the profession. In other words, was the treatment performed by the dentist done correctly?
Matters Not Accepted for Peer Review
- Any complaint that doesn't concern the appropriateness of care or quality of care is not accepted.
- If the case involves a fee or billing dispute, it is not accepted.
- Complaints of poor customer service, practice management, or concerning a staff member's behavior are not accepted.
- If either party has contacted an attorney, even if litigation has not been initiated, the case will not be accepted.
- If a complaint already has been filed with the Kansas Dental Board, it will not be accepted.
- If the complaint is concerning treatment provided at no cost to the patient through a charitable health care organization, indigent health care clinic, local health department, or other, the complaint is not able to be reviewed. After reviewing these criteria, if you wish to submit your complaint to the Peer Review program, you must submit a non-refundable $20 filing fee.
Filing Fee & Application
If choosing to complete an online application, you MUST pay the non-refundable filing fee via Mastercard, Visa, or Discover Card. Complete the application, then contact the Kansas Dental Association at 785.272.7360 with your card information.
If choosing to pay the non-refundable $20 filing fee by check or money order, please download the Request for Peer Review to complete and return with your payment. DO NOT send any medical/dental records, billing information, or any other documents with your application. They will be shredded upon receipt.
Complete Online Application
Download Paper Application