REGISTER BY MARCH 15!
March 25, 2019 Study Club
Earn 4 CE Credits + 2 Dental Ethics
Three Presentations on March 25, 2019!
Click here to download a registration form
Ethics, Fraud and Public Health--What Does that Have to Do with Me?
Dr. Cathleen Taylor-Osborne, DDS, MA, FACD
Dr. Taylor-Osborne will present ethics discussion, including case studies, to fulfill the Kansas licensing requirements. This presentation will bring to attendees information from the realm of public health, including: teledentistry, dental therapist legislation, ADA's code on diabetes screenings, HPV/oral cancer and community water fluoridation.
About Dr. Taylor-Osborne...
Cathleen Taylor-Osborne is the State Dental Director and the Director of the Bureau of Oral Health for Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE).
After practicing dental hygiene for 15 years, Cathy graduated from UMKC School of Dentistry and subsequently practiced dentistry in Overland Park for 11 years. She has been continually active in organized dentistry including participation in state and local committees, professional organizations, multiple positions in the Fifth District, and serving on KS Mission of Mercy projects. In 2011, Cathy completed her MA in Bioethics and Health Policy and traveled to Bangalore, India to establish a dental clinic.
She is the recipient of multiple awards including the 2016 KDA Dentist of the Year, and Kansas Dental Champion in 2015.
A Special Presentation by Dr. Stuart Dexter on CBCT Ethics
Ethics, Identity Theft and Fraud
Presented by Mr. Steven Anderson, Special Agent to the Kansas Attorney General Office
Mr. Anderson will discuss his investigations including Medicaid and insurance fraud, compliance programs and identity theft, and ways to protect you and your practice.
About Mr. Anderson...
Steven Anderson is the Special Agent in Charge of the Medicaid Fraud & Abuse Division of the Kansas Attorney General’s Office. His law enforcement experience includes over two years with the Medicaid Fraud & Abuse Division and over 27 years in Federal law enforcement. He served as the Special Agent in Charge of the U.S. Department of Labor, Office of Labor Racketeering and Fraud Investigations, Washington Field Office. He was previously the Special Agent in Charge with the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Inspector General, and held investigator positions with the General Services Administration, OIG, and U.S. Air Force, Office of Special Investigations. He holds a Bachelor of Science in Management of Human Resources from Park University and an Associate Degree in Criminal Justice.
Click here to download a registration form.
The Board of Delegates
to the KDA will convene twice during the Midwest Dental Conference:
- Friday, March 22, Noon to 2pm
- Sat, March 23, 2pm to 2:30pm, following the KDA Annual Meeting
- Location: Sheraton Crown Center Hotel, 2345 McGee St, KCMO, Mezzanine Level
Are you considering selling your practice or hiring an associate?
Attend the Kansas Dental Association's Real World Transition Brunch--a KDA member event. This event will provide facetime with UMKC dental students who are approaching transition to the "real world." Click image for more info.
Volunteer online beginning Monday, March 11
Dentists, dental hygienists, dental assistants, dental office staff, translators, and general volunteers will be needed. Click the KMOM image for more information.
The Fifth District is pleased to welcome our newest member, Dr. Lakshmi Mallavarapu of Olathe.
Beginning September 2019, the Fifth District Study Club will undergo several changes:
- Number of Programs: Two eight-hour days (instead of 5), offering a total of 16 hours of CE. One additional 2-4 hour mini-session may be offered each year for ethics, CPR, etc, and would be free to season members.
- Day of the Week: Events will be held on Fridays (instead of Mondays).
- Tuition Fees (lunch is included in all fees):
- 5th District members and Associate members (ADA members from other districts that pay annual associate member dues to the 5th District) season membership option: $500 for both programs (16 hours of CE)
- Life/Retired season membership option: $100 for both programs
- Recent graduates: same reduced fee schedule available
- ADA member pay-per-meeting: $350 per program (including Life members)
- ADA team members: $50 per program
- Non-members: TBD
- Location: will vary session to session
The 2019-20 program dates will be Friday, September 20, 2019 and Friday, February 28, 2020, both of which will be held at GRID Collaborative Workspace in Overland Park near 119th and Blue Valley Parkway. Speaker and topic information will be coming soon.
Another exciting development underway is a collaborative effort with Greater Kansas City Dental Society to create an annual fall dental symposium for the Kansas City area. The first of these programs is being planned for September 17-18, 2020, so be watching for more details in the coming year.
If you have additional questions, feel free to contact Program Committee Chair Mitch Hopkins at email@example.com, or Nedra Sparks.
MATEC-KS and MATEC-MO invite dentists and hygienists to:
"Oral Health and HIV" presented by Dr. David Reznik
Thursday, March 28, 2019
5:30pm dinner; 6:00-8:00pm program
Concorde Career College, 3217 Broadway, KCMO
REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED
Contact Susan at firstname.lastname@example.org for details
The American College of Dentists is a great resource for free online dental ethics courses.
Go to www.dentalethics.org.
Fifth District Calendar
2018-19 STUDY CLUB PROGRAMS
THE FOLLOWING STUDY CLUB WILL BE HELD AT THE OVERLAND PARK MARRIOTT:
Monday, March 25, 2019 "Ethics, Fraud and Public Health--What Does that Have to Do with Me?" presented by Dr. Cathleen Taylor-Osborne, DDS, MA, FACD, "Ethics, Identity Theft and Fraud" presented by Mr. Steven Anderson, Special Agent to the Kansas Attorney General Office, plus a special presentation by Dr. Stuart Dexter on ethical considerations surrounding the use of CBCT scanning technology.
2018-19 MEETINGS AND EVENTS
- March 22, 2019 KDA Board of Delegates Meeting, Sheraton Crown Center
- March 23, 2019 KDA General Assembly, Sheraton Crown Center
- March 23, 2019 KDA Board of Delegates Meeting, Sheraton Crown Center
- April 26-27, 2019 Kansas Mission of Mercy, Pittsburg, KS
- September 13, 2019 Annual Golf Classic--Contact Dr. Karl Breuckmann
- September 20, 2019 Study Club Program
- February 28, 2020 Study Club Program
- September 17-18, 2020 Dental Symposium with GKCDS
2018-19 FIFTH DISTRICT EXECUTIVE COUNCIL MEETINGS
Meetings will be held at Chad Bulleigh's office, 14424 Metcalf Ave, Overland Park, KS
GREATER KANSAS CITY CE CALENDAR
An added benefit to living in the Kansas City metro area is the availability of quality CE programs through our sister organization in Missouri, Greater Kansas City Dental Society. For more information, call 816.737.5353 or email email@example.com.
- April 12, 2019 Ethical Treatment Planning Lecture
- June 7, 2019 OSHA Lecture
Special thanks to our Platinum Study Club 2018-19 Season Sponsor!
Thank you to March Study Club Gold Level Exhibitor, Kettenbach USA: