REGISTER BY JANUARY 4!
January 14, 2019 Study Club
It Can Make You or Break You!
DeWitt C. Wilkerson, DMD
Monday, January 14, 2019
8:00am to 2:30pm
Overland Park Marriott, 10800 Metcalf Ave, Overland Park, KS
Dr. Wilkerson’s presentation will be divided into 2 distinct, critical aspects of Dental Occlusion.
- The 4 Most Important Factors of Dental Occlusion
- A Critical Factor Causing Dental Malocclusions: Airway & Breathing Disorders
This presentation will help every attendee understand many very important occlusal concepts, rarely taught in dental school, and promises to be a day filled with invaluable pearls from one of the top occlusion authorities in the world.
DOWNLOAD A REGISTRATION FORM and Sign Up by January 4, 2019
Due in large part to the political involvement of KDA members, the Kansas Dental Association has traditionally been very successful in the Kansas legislature. This is a result of the friendships and acquaintances YOU have cultivated with your elected officials. Dental Day 2019 will be the time and place to build upon these relationships.
Dental Day 2019
has been designed to allow you the greatest ability to visit with legislators and learn about the political process while only disrupting your own office a minimal amount time.
Thursday, February 7, 2019 from 8:30 AM to 3:00 PM CST
Dillon House, 404 SW 9th St (immediately West of the Statehouse), Topeka, KS
If you would like to carpool and/or accompany fellow Fifth District members at Dental Day 2019 activities, contact Nedra Sparks by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
or phone, 913.338.2227.
The Restorative Partnership
Presented by Sheri Kay, RDH, BS
Monday, February 11, 2019
8:00am to 2:30pm
This Program Appropriate for the Entire Dental Team
Location: Overland Park Marriott
10800 Metcalf Ave, Overland Park
This course is designed to help dentists and hygienists better partner with each other and their patients. Helping patients understand what is going on in their mouths and also facilitating their ability to make choices is no easy task. This program can be a game changer for clinicians wanting to connect and truly make a difference with and for the people they serve. Together we will work through the hygiene appointment in 3 segments: The pre-clinical conversation, the process of co-discovery, and clinical closure including the hygiene/Dr hand-off. BONUS! Attendees at this program consistently say that they wish the entire team would have been there. Concepts and skills explored are applicable to every position and person on your team.
- Build context for Pre-Clinical conversation
- Gain verbiage that can support patients choosing a more comprehensive approach to their own oral health
- Use patient photographs to support patient awareness and preliminary treatment choices
- Hard tissues: Looking through the occlusion and restorative lens
- Know when and how to invite patients back for a new Comprehensive Exam
- Gaining clinical closure
- Refining the hygiene-hand off to Dr
A handout is available for this event here.
Download it to your smart device or print and bring with you for the presentation.
Beginning September 2019, the Fifth District Study Club will undergo several changes:
- Number of Programs: Two eight-hour days (instead of 5), offering a total of 16 hours of CE. One additional 2-4 hour mini-session may be offered each year for ethics, CPR, etc, and would be free to season members.
- Day of the Week: Events will be held on Fridays (instead of Mondays).
- Tuition Fees (lunch is included in all fees):
- 5th District members and Associate members (ADA members from other districts that pay annual associate member dues to the 5th District) season membership option: $500 for both programs (16 hours of CE)
- Life/Retired season membership option: $100 for both programs
- Recent graduates: same reduced fee schedule available
- ADA member pay-per-meeting: $350 per program (including Life members)
- ADA team members: $50 per program
- Non-members: TBD
- Location: will vary session to session
The 2019-20 program dates will be Friday, September 20, 2019 and Friday, February 28, 2020, both of which will be held at GRID Collaborative Workspace in Overland Park near 119th and Blue Valley Parkway. Speaker and topic information will be coming soon.
Another exciting development underway is a collaborative effort with Greater Kansas City Dental Society to create an annual fall dental symposium for the Kansas City area. The first of these programs is being planned for September 17-18, 2020, so be watching for more details in the coming year.
If you have additional questions, feel free to contact Program Committee Chair Mitch Hopkins at email@example.com, or Nedra Sparks.
The Fifth District thanks our Platinum sponsor
for their generous support of the 2018-19 Study Club series!
Mark Your Calendars
Fifth District Annual Golf Classic
Friday, September 13, 2019
Fifth District Calendar
2018-19 STUDY CLUB PROGRAMS
THE FOLLOWING STUDY CLUB EVENTS WILL BE HELD AT THE OVERLAND PARK MARRIOTT:
Monday, January 14, 2019 "Dental Occlusion: It Can Make You or Break You!" presented by Dr. DeWitt C. Wilkerson, DMD
Monday, February 11, 2019 "The Restorative Partnership" presented by Sheri Kay, RDH
Monday, March 25, 2019 "Ethics, Fraud and Public Health--What Does that Have to Do with Me?" presented by Dr. Cathleen Taylor-Osborne, DDS, MA, FACD, plus "Ethics, Identity Theft and Fraud" presented by Mr. Steven Anderson, Special Agent to the Kansas Attorney General Office
2018-19 MEETINGS AND EVENTS
- February 7, 2019 Dental Day, Topeka, KS
- February 7, 2019 KDA Board of Delegates Meeting, Topeka, KS
- March 22, 2019 KDA Board of Delegates Meeting, Sheraton Crown Center
- March 23, 2019 KDA General Assembly, Sheraton Crown Center
- March 23, 2019 KDA Board of Delegates Meeting, Sheraton Crown Center
- April 26-27, 2019 Kansas Mission of Mercy, Pittsburg, KS
- September 13, 2019 Annual Golf Classic--Contact Dr. Karl Breuckmann
- September 20, 2019 Study Club Program
- February 28, 2020 Study Club Program
- September 17-18, 2020 Dental Symposium with GKCDS
2018-19 FIFTH DISTRICT EXECUTIVE COUNCIL MEETINGS
Meetings will be held at Chad Bulleigh's office, 14424 Metcalf Ave, Overland Park, KS
GREATER KANSAS CITY CE CALENDAR
An added benefit to living in the Kansas City metro area is the availability of quality CE programs through our sister organization in Missouri, Greater Kansas City Dental Society. For more information, call 816.737.5353 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- January 11, 2019 Health/Nutrition Lecture with David Meinz, MS, RDN, FAND
- February 8, 2019 Cariology Lecture with Brian Novy, DDS
- April 12, 2019 Ethical Treatment Planning Lecture
- June 7, 2019 OSHA Lecture